Keep your pet safe this fall

Posted on: Saturday, October 22nd, 2011

With the cooler months upon us, it’s a great time to get outside and enjoy nature with your pet, or bring them along for some holiday fun. As with any time of year, it’s best to know how to enjoy it safely. Here are some tips to help you and your pet enjoy the season in safety.

Flea and Tick Prevention

Fleas and ticks can be found all year long, so be sure to keep your pet up-to-date on flea and tick prevention such as Frontline or Advantage even throughout the cooler months.


Make sure your pet is always wearing ID, especially on hikes or walks in the park. If something unexpected should happen, proper pet identification can give you peace of mind when you need it.

Check Equipment

Fall is a great time to do end-of-season safety checks on all of your dog’s equipment, including leashes, collars, and fences. Take the time now to ensure that your pet will not accidentally escape from a broken leash or fence, before the cold and snowy weather approaches.

Fall Mushrooms

While most are non-toxic, some wild mushrooms growing in the fall can be poisonous to your pet. They can cause a range of health issues from gastroenteritis to severe hallucinations and can even prove fatal. Contact your veterinarian or Poison Control immediately if your pet has ingested wild mushrooms.

Wild Rodents

During the fall, rodents are more present as they search for warmth and shelter, often in our homes. Take caution when using rodenticides around the home as these can be toxic to pets and can cause bleeding disorders that can be deadly. Rodent traps are a good alternative, as there are many that pose no threat of harm to your pet.

School Supplies

Fall is back to school time, meaning an influx of colorful, small objects, like markers or glue, that can be attractive to curious pets. Take care to keep all school supplies, out of their reach.


If you are preparing your vehicle for the winter months, take caution with antifreeze. Be sure to dispose of it properly, and clean up any spillage. Many coolant products contain a chemical called ethylene glycol that is highly toxic to your pet. Antifreeze can be very attractive to pets due to it’s sweet taste and smell, and as little as five teaspoons can kill a 10 pound dog, even less for a cat. Kidney failure and death can occur in as little as four to eight hours. Newer products that contain propylene glycol are generally considered safe. Contact your veterinarian or Poison Control immediately if you suspect your pet has consumed antifreeze.


One of the best parts of the Halloween celebration is candy. But while candy can be a lot of fun for people, it can be deadly to dogs. Chocolate in particular is toxic to dogs and should be kept out of their reach.


Holiday meals can means a lot of food around the house that is attractive to pets, but some holiday foods can pose a medical threat for your pet. While it can seem harmless to give your dog some table scraps on a special day, things like chicken and turkey bones can be very dangerous. Poultry bones tend to splinter when broken, and the sharp shards can get stuck or pierce holes in any portion of a pet’s digestive tract. Other rich foods can cause sudden pancreatitis or bloat, which could make your pet very uncomfortable. Keep holiday meals, leftovers and table scraps out of reach of your pet.

Fall can be a wonderful time of year for both you and your pet. Take these precautions and enjoy it safely!

Leave a Reply